L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis Virtual Briefing

L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis speaks of upcoming CalFresh changes during virtual briefing. 

Starting June 1, CalFresh recipients will have to meet new work requirements to continue receiving benefits under federal law. In preparation of those changes, L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis held a virtual briefing this week to highlight the changes and potential impacts on communities around L.A. 

Some notable changes beginning in June include no more automatic work exemptions for individuals who are unhoused, veterans and former foster youth under age 25; households must include a child under age 14 to qualify for certain exemptions; the impacted age range will expand from 18 to 64; and new exemptions for certain Native American populations and individuals with unsatisfactory immigration status are no longer eligible.

According to the new federal guidelines, CalFresh recipients are required to work 20 hours a week, which is equivalent to 80 hours a month, to receive benefits. 

 

“While automatic exemptions are ending under federal law, DPSS staff will continue working closely with customers to determine whether they qualify for other exemptions, services, or supportive programs,” Dr. Jackie Contreras, the director of the county’s Department of Public Social Services said during the briefing.

The changes to CalFresh come as part of the massive federal budget and reconciliation law, H.R. 1, also known as the "One Big Beautiful Bill Act," which was signed in 2025. 

According to Supervisor Solis, approximately 260,000 CalFresh participants will be impacted by the changes starting in June. 

“[This] will hurt all of our vulnerable communities across Los Angeles County and throughout this country. These expanded work requirements are going to create more barriers for people who are already struggling to meet ends,” Solis said. “It's not about creating opportunity, it's about making it harder for people to keep the benefits.” 

Solis added that about 108,000 Angelenos have already lost access to CalFresh benefits since these federal changes were enacted last year.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.